KoC Advertising.

News and announcements from previous ages.

Moderator: Moderator

bon
Game Owner

KoC Advertising.

Post by bon »

MFnBonsai
KoC Advertising....

So I would like to know some ideas to help advertise KoC.... Since I have no idea hoping some of you might....

Where do you think KoC should be advertising to try and get new players into the game.... We all want new blood on the battlefield so give me some ideas of what can be done to promote KoC....

Viv is helping with twitter and various other platforms on discord and whatever else she has planned and her help is appreciated.... ;)

If anyone else has any ideas lets get this going and lets get more blood to spill....

23rd July 2018, 12:17 PM
BRC

Advertise on reddit, facebook, twitter. Take money from willing people. As I keep saying, there is plenty of disposable income around the peoples of KoC. The average age is higher than that of your normal game. As I mentioned before, you can easily do this through in game cosmetics, such as having peoples name highlighted in different glowy colors on the bf, allowing name changes, and other silly things of that nature. You could even have simple 'pay for this' transactions, as well as subscriber things. While it might seem crass, or something you don't want to do, it's literally the way of the future. As long as you do it right, (IE, don't make it p2w, just pay for cosmetics) then people literally have nothing to bitch about. I'm sure I could come up with countless ideas for you in this regard, as it's not hard. Just load up the top 'f2p mobile' games and take a look. You can even simply set up a donation button for people who just want to donate and don't want anything in return.

In this respect too, allowing a mobile app, or getting someone to engineer one, is key, which, with people fueling the games with donations, shouldn't be too hard to achieve. Obviously it'd be best to contract a third party for it overall, though KoC surely has talented scripters that may even be willing to do it for free (you would just need someone to look over the code, not only initially but after every update, for just in case reasons). But having a mobile app, and advertising that will work out far better.

Get someone to make some slick graphics for advertisement. And maybe even update some of the graphics in game as well. I would be willing to bet there are people that would do this pro-bono in game already, they just have to be reached.

23rd July 2018, 02:48 PM
The_Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFnBonsai View Post
So I would like to know some ideas to help advertise KoC.... Since I have no idea hoping some of you might....

Where do you think KoC should be advertising to try and get new players into the game.... We all want new blood on the battlefield so give me some ideas of what can be done to promote KoC....

Viv is helping with twitter and various other platforms on discord and whatever else she has planned and her help is appreciated.... ;)

If anyone else has any ideas lets get this going and lets get more blood to spill....
Is there any way to incentivize recruiting without it being easily exploited? Like back in the day recruiting was like a virus.

23rd July 2018, 04:34 PM
Brandonito

Last time I asked iirc Bon said he had like a million e-mail addresses of previously registered koc accounts in the database.

If someone could help bon figure out how to send e-mails on a large scale to these without getting sent to their spam folders; with an update that KoC has new ownership and new changes before next age, we could get some of these people to come back probably.

23rd July 2018, 05:51 PM
krieper

So, I'm in China now, and it appears koc isn't banned here.(censored word)

I also see every human under 30 with their cellphones in their hands constantly... they are also eager to learn english.

I suggest you focus on a mobile app, then drop some adds on their social network sites, lol.

It would be pretty funny to see those 200 SR guys declare war on a rising alliance called "the Chinese empire", just to find there are 1 billions accounts of tCE the next age, all ready to destroy them ;-)

Same with the Indian market.

Krieper

23rd July 2018, 05:51 PM
Lady_Rowan

I may regret saying this but getting the game onto mobile users radar is probably the best way to increase player numbers ..

They may be short term players with no idea of how to play the game but it helps make the game into a grower and that can escalate. Only problem is .. mobile users like graphics and I suspect that's not possible. But yeah even veteran and previous players of this game have mobiles they might use to play the game.

So yeah .. a mobile app (legal one) would be good. I don't have a problem using my mobile for the game atm for banking, etc but it would help to have more game info available to make it a platform players could use all the time (the kind of info that's being looked into that scripts offer)

EDIT: .. I just realised I went off topic on this. Sorry :(

23rd July 2018, 11:36 PM
snap

For advertising, I think you should target college students. As they want to try games and participate. So sites which attract college students would be the best place to out your ads. Further you can send an automated message to the old players whose email id you may have. If this can be the way.

24th July 2018, 03:12 AM
Mielinski

The only way to get this game to grow is to go mobile or at least be compatible with it so it works well.

When you put ads on socials 90%+ reads them on a mobile, so how do you think they will register/log in mostly?

24th July 2018, 08:36 AM
Rasta

Advertise through the google play store and the Apple store ... With an app version of the game :P

Everyone in the world has a mobile phone and everyone who uses a smart phone play games via apps. It's a no brainer really. I know my activity alone would increase probably over 500% from what it is now if I had an app for KOC.

Once you have an app, then advertise through FB, because same goes, everyone in the world almost has FB.

24th July 2018, 10:48 AM
MFnBonsai

A KoC app would be ideal.... having an official one made is the problem I have encountered.... still looking into it so there will be one eventually just dont have an eta on when....

27th July 2018, 03:41 AM
MadGeorge

It would be a lot easier if the site was anything close to recent.. You could make a mobile stylesheet and boom, no need for an app.
I think the app or mobile version will be quite hard to do without re-writing the site.. which will no doubt be the end goal.

For now, it might be worth just bringing in the extra people through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and all those delightful social media sites.
If you had the capital, you could invest in a 6month advert in Google Adsense?

Ideally to do that, you will need some banners and images that can be used for advertising? I am sure anyone with a webspace etc would be happy to put a link out for you. Is this something Shredmeister could maybe assist with?

27th July 2018, 04:08 AM
MFnBonsai

The only other issue I have come across other than cost to get an app made is that updates would have to be made to the app each time there are upgrades to the game.... maybe making the game more user friendly would be the main goal to start with as having to chase someone to update the app each age....

27th July 2018, 04:18 AM
Lancelotnl

Could we make a sort of crowd fund? That will generate some ad funding.

27th July 2018, 04:38 AM
RMFz-

Quote:
The only other issue I have come across other than cost to get an app made is that updates would have to be made to the app each time there are upgrades to the game.... maybe making the game more user friendly would be the main goal to start with as having to chase someone to update the app each age....
Why can't the app be just a mobile website wrapper?

3rd August 2018, 11:29 PM
Deloo

Maybe not completly on topic, but I agree with the people suggesting the mobile website instead of an app...
An app requires updates on two platforms and keeps the current site limping behind when it comes to layout and technology.
So instead of investing in a mobile app, my choice would be a website overhaul...

This also makes it more accessible for people when clicking an add on social media. Speaking for myself, I dont really like downloading apps via social media advertisement...

6th August 2018, 05:54 PM
Centurold

I agree with RMFz- that a mobile wrapper app would work best: the website simply needs to be made responsive, and the "app" will feel quite native.

6th August 2018, 06:01 PM
MFnBonsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelotnl View Post
Could we make a sort of crowd fund? That will generate some ad funding.
Gofundme is good to use for crowdfunds but also take a chunk out of the donations as well as the other party they use to hold the donations.... From the previous Gofundme for Jack if i remember correctly around 10% went out of the donations for fees to gofundme and the other mob....

7th August 2018, 12:26 AM
ROTTENSOUL

I'm not a expert, but if I remember correctly changes for my website just required some viewport changes in the stylesheet and costs for a app were getting out of hand. Making the website responsive seems like the cheaper and easier option.
Also making the website responsive should have a positive effect on google ranking which could be a nice bonus.

7th August 2018, 01:05 AM
MFnBonsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTENSOUL View Post
I'm not a expert, but if I remember correctly changes for my website just required some viewport changes in the stylesheet and costs for a app were getting out of hand. Making the website responsive seems like the cheaper and easier option.
Also making the website responsive should have a positive effect on google ranking which could be a nice bonus.
Well not going to name who offered their services in creating an app for KoC but I will say that the cost was extreme (over 5K AU) and there is no way i can justify even if i had the money to do so outlaying that amount....

Atm I dont have an issue with playing KoC on my mobile.... although I dont actually play and well modding isnt as easy on a mobile as on a laptop but i dont think an app would benefit the game....

And yes the app would have to be made and then also able to be updated everytime KoC made changes....

As for advertising I am looking into it and might take some time to work out exactly what i am going to do but will see....

7th August 2018, 03:51 AM
MadGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTENSOUL View Post
This is correct in most cases.
The main issue I think they are going to have is navigation and also condensing stuff to fit a mobile/tablet screen.
From what Ive seen of the source code, and what ash has implied.. It would probably take more time amending the current one that creating a brand new template lol.

Apps are good for games and things where you have a development team.
Something like KoC just needs to be mobile responsive to make itself current.
I had previously tried to make it responsive with a GM extension for kicks but it was tiresome.

8th August 2018, 11:29 PM
chrisl7605

Quote:
Well not going to name who offered their services in creating an app for KoC but I will say that the cost was extreme (over 5K AU) and there is no way i can justify even if i had the money to do so outlaying that amount....

Atm I dont have an issue with playing KoC on my mobile.... although I dont actually play and well modding isnt as easy on a mobile as on a laptop but i dont think an app would benefit the game....

And yes the app would have to be made and then also able to be updated everytime KoC made changes....

As for advertising I am looking into it and might take some time to work out exactly what i am going to do but will see....
Well if the site could be mobile friendly it would only.cost a few hundred dollars.

Also thought we got a pretty good quote from someone that isnt trying to screw you for only 2700-4000 AU dollars.

I honestly dont know how this game is going to grow too much popularity without an app. However with an app I could easily see this game getting 5k players.

9th August 2018, 04:42 AM
king_archibald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonito View Post
Last time I asked iirc Bon said he had like a million e-mail addresses of previously registered koc accounts in the database.

If someone could help bon figure out how to send e-mails on a large scale to these without getting sent to their spam folders; with an update that KoC has new ownership and new changes before next age, we could get some of these people to come back probably.
GDPR. You need to ' ASK' european citizens if they want to receive mailings, plus they need to be able to choose for an option to not get e-mails / mailings again.

9th August 2018, 07:17 AM
chrisl7605

Quote:

if the DB has logged all the emails I wouldn't be surprised if he had multiple millions of email addresses. But I wouldn't send those out until he has a completely finished product. He's only going to get 1 shot in getting them to come back and play actively.

9th August 2018, 06:12 PM
Centurold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl7605 View Post
Well if the site could be mobile friendly it would only.cost a few hundred dollars.

Also thought we got a pretty good quote from someone that isnt trying to screw you for only 2700-4000 AU dollars.

I honestly dont know how this game is going to grow too much popularity without an app. However with an app I could easily see this game getting 5k players.
The site is completely built on tables and barely any divs, so that makes it quite a bit harder to make it responsive ... :/

11th August 2018, 09:29 AM
Rudden

Hi,

I joined KoC under a different username MGSSOL back in 2003/4 and continued to play until 2006. I have recently returned and relieved to see it has kept it's uniquely simple gameplay content.

I would like to suggest PATREON! It allows people to donate monthly any figure to help maintain the game, make improvements and in exchange KoC would give perks to these paying members. It does not have to be stuff that influences gameplay. But it could access to an exclusive discord channel to discuss changes directly to Bon or exclusively vote on new features etc.

As a registered Patreon user, I would quite happily donate $5 a month to support the game.

https://www.patreon.com/

23rd August 2018, 09:28 AM
Bloo

Quote:

Errr, I really hope he doesn’t have all those emails. There are all kinds of GDPR laws in place in Europe now. You just can’t retain that information and it should all be deleted. The fines are quite hefty.

23rd August 2018, 11:35 AM
MFnBonsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Errr, I really hope he doesn’t have all those emails. There are all kinds of GDPR laws in place in Europe now. You just can’t retain that information and it should all be deleted. The fines are quite hefty.
Emails are no longer at my disposal....

24th August 2018, 05:35 PM
The_Sovereign

I wonder if its possible to do an ingame reward for posting a recruitment advert on a players' social media.

24th August 2018, 09:54 PM
Vredesbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
So your saying the game owner cannot use emails that players have provided freely to them to play a game?
You use emails to verify registrations and I still to this very day keep getting emails telling me its been avhile since I responed to my followers on facebook. Pretty sure FB knows the rules by now.
https://www.eugdpr.org/

25th August 2018, 10:53 AM
krieper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vredesbyrd View Post
So your saying the game owner cannot use emails that players have provided freely to them to play a game?
You use emails to verify registrations and I still to this very day keep getting emails telling me its been avhile since I responed to my followers on facebook. Pretty sure FB knows the rules by now.
https://www.eugdpr.org/
Facebook put that in their updated terms of service.

If bon wanted to keep those e-mails, he could have sent them all a message informing people that ownership has changed and ask for permission to keep the e-mail listed.

Would have been 2 birds in one stone and perfectly legal under gdpr.

25th August 2018, 01:10 PM
The_Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieper View Post
Facebook put that in their updated terms of service.

If bon wanted to keep those e-mails, he could have sent them all a message informing people that ownership has changed and ask for permission to keep the e-mail listed.

Would have been 2 birds in one stone and perfectly legal under gdpr.
If the email gives them the opportunity to opt-out, he could use them again? Interesting

25th August 2018, 08:13 PM
Endtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurold View Post
The site is completely built on tables and barely any divs, so that makes it quite a bit harder to make it responsive ... :/
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl7605 View Post

Lol, sounds like a rip off price to me. The app will be done, just not on everyone else's deadline is *right now*

Players enter their information at their own risk, that is the privacy act.

25th August 2018, 08:14 PM
krieper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sovereign View Post
If the email gives them the opportunity to opt-out, he could use them again? Interesting
Well, if they don't reply positively, he'd have to delete them after.

Quote:
Players enter their information at their(censored word)own risk, that is the privacy act.
No, under the GDPR act in the EU, any gathered data will have to be listed, and agreed upon by the person. If said person doesn't agree to keep it, it has to be deleted. If said person first agrees, then retracts his agreement, the data has to be deleted.

26th August 2018, 01:00 AM
Endtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieper View Post
Well, if they don't reply positively, he'd have to delete them after.

No, under the GDPR act in the EU, any gathered data will have to be listed, and agreed upon by the person. If said person doesn't agree to keep it, it has to be deleted. If said person first agrees, then retracts his agreement, the data has to be deleted.
This is not the EU.

27th August 2018, 05:23 AM
krieper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endtime View Post
This is not the EU.
Everyone who wants to gather data from EU citizens needs to follow these rules. Unless you want to ban all EU citizens and lose half yr playerbase, I suggest you somewhat stick to the rules ;-) it's sometimes annoying, companies, even schools are pressured to do a lot of extra administration.

27th August 2018, 05:51 PM
Centurold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endtime View Post
Not really.
Yeah it is ...

29th August 2018, 05:47 PM
MadGeorge

Any email you send out would have to provide a link for anyone in the EU to consent for you to send them any further emails.
If they do not consent / respond, their details would need to be removed from the mailing list.

Appreciated that only part of the player base is EU, but unfortunately it doesn’t let anyone off Scot-free.. check out https://blog.returnpath.com/gdpr-imp...-eu-companies/